Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Adult boosters recommended

A list of seven vaccines you need right now was published by CNN's health channel. It's a good reminder that as adults age we may lose immunity to childhood diseases. I myself need to look into an MMR booster. I'll be moving up towards Canada, which has had Mumps outbreaks, and Measles is making a comeback as I noted earlier. Also, due to whooping cough (pertussis) making its way back into the mainstream, I'm going to opt for the Tdap version of the Tetanus booster when I get my update, which I'm due for this year I think.

It's particularly important to be up-to-date as an adult as childhood vaccine compliance decreases. I'm not sure anyone under the age of 60 who has no chronic disease or immune suppression requires the shingles vaccine, but that article is a decent reminder that infectious disease knows no age.

No comments: