Thursday, May 8, 2008

Bad news for fat kids

I was reading through the recent posts at The Scientist newsblog and am a little dismayed at some recent findings:

The number of fat cells in a person's body is determined during childhood and stays constant throughout life, with about 10 percent of fat cells dying and being replaced annually, according to study published in Nature yesterday (May 4).


This is bad news for me. I was an overweight kid...and am an overweight adult. I constantly struggle with trying to maintain a lower weight let alone lose more. Well, at least my sister got to be skinny.

The target age for final adipocyte numbers was 16.5 years. And they saw discrepencies in the rate at which the body produces the cells. Hopefully this information will lead to treatments for those who have more than just a nutrition problem.

No comments: