Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Smoking tobacco is still bad

Going through the WHO health statistic report I mentioned a few posts ago, I pulled out and summarized the information about tobacco-related deaths. Tobacco is still a top killer. I was aghast at the sheer number of deaths the WHO attributes to tobacco, and the fact that most lung cancers are associated with its use. Even with my background in health I didn't realize how severe the effect still is. Especially since I live with a smoker, I have to admit that it scares me to imagine he is losing years from his life. There have been many smokers in my family, some negatively affected by it and others not. But the odds are not good and the statistics are worth keeping in mind when deciding to buy the next pack. I agree with people deciding what is best for themselves and in making personal choices about their health, including smoking. As someone who suffers respiratory problems from second-hand smoke I have a bias towards nonsmoker rights, but also have to admit that I have yet to see clear scientific evidence about the effects of secondhand smoke (by the way, if you have links to studies, please pass them my way). And I believe smokers have rights, too. It's a touchy subject, I know, but making informed choices is important, no matter what they may be. So I pass this information along to you.

No comments: